Saturday 5 June 2010

1. Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

As some of you already know, I decided that it was time to read all the books on the bookmark I got from my parents. 50 Books to read before you die. I think a book lover like me should definitely read those books. So I challenged myself to read the 50 books this year. To show you I mean it, I read the whole Lord of the Rings this week. Which wasn't that much of a challenge, because the books are amazing. But if I want to finish the list I should read more than one book every week. Anyway, I promised to tell you something about every book I read.
(This is the version I read, quite an old one, in Dutch.)

I love the Lord of the Rings movie ever since my mother said I should watch them when I was ill and bored to death. Eventhough everbody always told me that books were so much better, I was pretty content with the long hours sitting and watching Middle-earth on screen. But now that has changed. I discovered, not to my surprise though, that the books are wonderful. They changed a lot of things in the films. Which I think is a good thing, otherwise no one could follow it. But the books leave more to your imagination and you really find yourself in Middle-earth feeling sorry for Frodo and hoping he'll make it. Which -of course- he does. And I love the elves, the relationship between Éowyn and Faramir and how those Ents take down Isengard. But I won't give too much lovely details away, you should read the books yourself. Really, when you finally commit yourself and decide you're going to read them you'll enjoy it.

So. This is it. The beginning of the list. The next one is 1984 by George Orwell. I think everyone had heard about this book -and every other book on the list- and I hope it is as fascinating as people say it is.

Karin.

No comments:

Post a Comment